Published on August 1, 2019 | Choosing a Career| Eye Opener
It’s Time To Go Green: Careers in The Environment Sector
Want to save the planet and build a successful career at the same time? A career in the environmental sector is one of the Go-To jobs. There’s something here for everyone, doesn’t matter what interest, skill set, and aspirations they possess. Best of all, many of these ‘green jobs’ come with hefty pay packages and the sought-after “environmental conscientiousness.”
As countries get together to streamline their goals and create a better global future, the environmental impact of their actions is an issue that has been gaining a lot of traction with governments and corporates working towards a greener and sustainable future.
- 10.3 million renewable energy jobs were created globally in 2017-18
- Environment Engineer: One of the top 10 job titles (by hiring) in the US over the past 12 months in the environmental space
- 157% increase in Environmental Scientist jobs in the past 3 years in the UK alone
- In India alone, we project Environmental related occupations to grow by 15% every year, which is faster than the average for all other occupations
Career Opportunities: Doesn’t it sound boring?
A career opportunity in environmental space might sound boring at the outset but can actually be pretty interesting – it covers the whole spectrum of domains ranging from alternative fuel to organic food. For almost all industries and large-scale projects, environmental clearance is a must. Think about this:
- Will you be able to survive without water?
- Will you be able to survive without clean air?
- Can you imagine a world without trees?
The list can go on and the answer would be “No” every single time. Add to this, the fact that most government organisations across the world, including the United Nations, has put special focus on green projects, you can imagine the importance of environmental graduates and postgraduates across the globe, in various domains and capacity. There are a wide spectrum of roles available to be explored as a career with a few career paths listed below
Broad Career Paths to explore in the Environmental Sector
- Management & Technical Consulting
- Engineering Services
- Scientific Research & Development
- Public Policy & Government Planning
- Global and National Planning & Regulatory bodies
An environmental graduate can explore a wide variety of roles that fit into the above career paths mentioned. If you are not interested in technical research, you can also explore roles with a techno-management flavour.
Broad nature of the roles & responsibilities involved in the environmental sector jobs
- Design programs and process for cleaner air and water
- Drive innovation with the help of future technologies (example Electric Vehicles)
- Conservation of our natural resources
- Public policy and Industrial planning
- Planning of Urban and Rural Waste Disposal
- Sustainable environment planning
- Review and Investigate companies & industries for environmental
- Design and Implement Standard Operating Procedures
- Global Bodies for Climate Change and Global Warming Policies
- Provide technical support for environmental remediation projects
- Advise corporations and government agencies
- Innovate and develop products of the future
While the above details gives a flavour of the jobs available in this space along with the roles and responsibilities expected and assigned. A few jobs in this space have literally turned out to be dream jobs across the globe – thanks to the hefty pay packages either because of the limited number of resources available or high importance given to a niche skill set.
Hot Jobs Alert!!
- Chief Sustainability Officer
- LEED Officers (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
- Environmental Lawyers / Regulators
- Environmental Engineers
- Urban Planner
- Conservation Scientists
- Chief Innovation Officer
Some Top MNCs & Reputed organisations hiring for this role
- Schneider Electric
- United Nations
- Government of India
All things said and done, there needs to be a starting point. For fresh graduates or for one’s looking for a career change, a good place to start in the environmental field is by opting for reputed courses in this space.
Here are the top colleges for Environmental Engineering and Sciences Graduate and Post – Graduate programs in India.
Top Indian Colleges & Universities for a degree in Environmental Engineering and Environmental Sciences
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- College of Engineering, Pune
- The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Forest Research Institute, Dehradun
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai
- Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh
- Delhi Technological University
If you are looking for building a global career or want to explore education abroad, then there are a plethora of top, prestigious universities to choose from. We list a few of the top ones below:
Top Global Colleges & Universities for a degree in Environmental Engineering and Environmental Sciences
- University of California Berkeley (Environmental & Environmental Health Engineering)
- Stanford University (Environmental Engineering)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Harvard University
- Oxford University
- National University of Singapore
Environmental engineers, scientists, and consultants are the wizards of the modern-day world, who are researching, planning, developing, producing solutions to save our planet Earth, and build a better future for us and for generations to come.
Save the Planet Earth,
It’s the only one we have.